TWIN LAKES FALL COLOR AND INTERLAKEN RESORT
INTERLAKEN RESORT AT TWIN LAKES
Interlaken Resort, built in 1879, was considered Colorado’s most beautiful resort in the late 19th century. James V. Dexter bought it in 1883 and it provided some of the best facilities for the time. It was a popular stop for those who traveled by train to a nearby stop and took a short ride by stage or carriage to the south side of Twin Lakes.
After the turn of the century, the first Twin Lakes dam was built, causing some sections of the lake to become shallow and stagnant. Fearful of malaria and other diseases then attributed to such water conditions, guests opted to stay away, which eventually led to the closing of Interlaken Resort.
For nearly a century, the resort’s buildings were left to crumble. But in 1979, the Bureau of Reclamation agreed to record and stabilize the Twin Lakes Historic District, including Interlaken Resort.
Today, some of the resort’s buildings remain standing and are open and free to the public. The resort can be reached by an easy 5 mile round-trip trail or by boat.